- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 3/4 cup chilled butter, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼–½ cup ice water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into bite size pieces and tossed with some olive oil and a pinch of salt
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1 bunch chives, finely chopped
- olive oil
- salt, to taste
- 1 egg, lightly beaten for an egg wash
- 2 tablespoons Everything But The Bagel seasoning (optional but recommended!)
To make the crust:
- Add the spelt flour and salt to a food processor and pulse to mix. Add in the chilled butter and pulse until the butter is the size of lima beans.
- While pulsing, add in the apple cider vinegar and then slowly pour in the ice water, start with ¼ cup and add more if necessary. Pulse until you have a pebbly, somewhat shaggy dough.
- Pour the dough out onto a floured surface or cutting board and gently form it into a 2 inch thick flat disc. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
To make the filling:
- Start by thinly cutting the onion into half moons. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil or butter to a pan over low-med heat. Place the onions into the pan and cook low and slow over medium low heat until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes, stirring every few minutes. If the onions look they are cooking too quickly, i.e. becoming crispy instead of soft and deep golden brown, simply turn the heat down and keep an eye on them. Set aside.
- Next, mix ¼ cup of chives with the goat cheese until it becomes a paste that is spreadable. Reserve the rest of the chives to garnish the galette.
Assembling the Galette:
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place the dough onto a floured piece of parchment paper the size of your baking sheet.
- Roll the dough out to a 1/4 inch thick circle.
- Carefully transfer the parchment paper and dough to a baking sheet. Place the rolled out dough back into the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Spread the goat cheese onto the dough, leaving a 2 inch border.
- Put the onions on top of the goat cheese in an even layer. Pile the asparagus on top of the onions.
- Fold the edges of dough over the filling, tucking and overlapping slightly as needed to keep the filling inside.
- Brush the edges of the dough with the egg wash. Sprinkle the everything but the bagel seasoning onto the crust, going as heavy or light handed as you’d like.
- Bake for about 45-50 min, until the crust is a deep golden brown and firm to the touch.
- wait 5-10 minutes before cutting in.