- 1 ⅓ pounds asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Scant 1/4 cup sliced (flaked) almonds
- 3 tablespoons baby capers, patted dry on paper towels (kitchen paper)
- ¼ to ½ cups roughly chopped fresh dill
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet (baking tray) with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl or on a work surface, use your hands or tongs to toss the asparagus with 1 tablespoon oil, a generous pinch of salt and a good grind of pepper. Arrange asparagus in the paper-lined pan, spaced well apart, and roast, shaking the pan occasionally, until asparagus is soft and starting to brown in places, 8 to 12 minutes, depending on thickness. Remove from oven and set aside in the pan.
- In a small or medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat until foamy. Add almonds and fry, stirring frequently, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes (reduce heat as needed to prevent scorching). Pour almonds and butter evenly over asparagus.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pan and heat over high heat. Once hot, add the capers and fry, stirring continuously, until they have opened up and become crisp, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove capers from the oil and sprinkle over the asparagus. Add dill. Using tongs or two spoons, mix gently to combine, transfer to a large plate and serve warm.