- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground cumin
- 6 pods of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red or white onion, diced (about ¾ cup)
- 10 medium sized ripe red tomatoes (about 3 pounds), coarsely chopped (you can use a food processor for this if you wish)
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 11/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ cup freshly chopped herbs (such as oregano, thyme and parsley)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat the oil and add in the cumin, black pepper and the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add in the onion and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, until the onion softens and begins to turn pale golden.
- Add in the tomatoes, salt and sugar and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes soften and begin to thicken. When stirring, break down the tomatoes with a back of a spoon.
- Add in the herbs and the red pepper flakes and lower the heat and simmer for another 5 minutes until the mixture is much thicker and relatively thick.
- You can serve with pasta or cool slightly and blend until smooth and then serve.