There are times where life comes full circle. When the intricate links of our every day become a beautiful pattern. I know that sounds a little “out there”, but that is how I feel right now. In 2016 I found something so beautiful and inspiring that I started my company because I had to have it and I couldn’t get it without buying a large commercial shipment. Yes, it was the “Stars in the Sky Christmas Tree”. This tree came from a source in the Netherlands that creates pieces for the European market. I love the difference that makes in their approach. They create such beautiful things that what started with a Christmas tree is now a partnership that includes 2 trips to the Netherlands every year and allows us to start working on our Christmas collections for you, over a year ahead of time. Katie and I love it and one of the bonuses is that we get to visit the Christmas Markets across the border in Germany when we go. These markets are so warm and quaint and wonderful that it is something we fit in every chance we get. We have always said it is something we wish we could share with you…and now we can.
We’re going on a Christmas Markets Cruise in 2022, and you’re invited!
Dates: December 1 – 8, 2022
Day 1: Embarkation in Amsterdam
Day 2: Amsterdam
Day 3: Cologne
Day 4: Rhine Gorge
Day 5: Ludwigshafen
Day 6: Strasbourg
Day 7: Breisach
Day 8: Disembarkation in Basel
Board the ship in Amsterdam for your Christmas Markets on the Rhine cruise!
There are 165 canals in Amsterdam, and you’ll get to enjoy some of them on your canal cruise. Later in the day, set sail out of Amsterdam.
Enjoy cruising to Cologne, home to one of Germany’s most revered Gothic masterpieces, the Cologne Cathedral. Join a guided tour through the enchanting Old Town. Explore the UNESCO-designated cathedral and then visit one of Europe’s largest and most renowned Christmas Markets located in front of the cathedral. Alternatively, ride a bike along the Rhine or visit a local tavern to taste Cologne’s traditional Kölsch beer and reibekuchen mit apfelmus—potato pancakes served with applesauce.
Cruise through the castle-laden Rhine River Gorge before reaching the winemaking town of Rüdesheim. Once in Rüdesheim, you will have four choices of morning excursions. Wine connoisseurs will want to go to a wine cellar for a wine tasting followed by a Christmas Market visit to enjoy holiday traditions from around the world. Or go on a hike through the vineyards. Alternatively, you can take a peaceful ride over the vineyards on Rüdesheim’s gondola followed by a visit to the Christmas Market. You may also opt to join a guided bike tour through the town and along the Rhine River before visiting the Christmas Market. Later in the day, you can visit Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum, or taste one of the town’s special delights, Rüdesheimer coffee.
You have the choice to explore two of Germany’s historically rich cities, along with their festive Christmas Markets. Visit Heidelberg, a city that will capture your heart with its mighty castle and historic university. While here, wander along one of Europe’s longest pedestrian shopping streets, the Hauptstrasse, soaking up the Yuletide celebrations at the town’s Christmas Markets. Or hike along the Neckar River on the historic Philosopher’s Path followed by free time to enjoy the Christmas Markets. Alternatively, you can bike along the Neckar River to the medieval town of Ladenburg and visit its Marktplatz, or explore one of Germany’s oldest cities, Speyer, known for the largest Romanesque cathedral in Europe—a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You’ll also have time to visit its Christmas Market in front of the “Old Mint” (Alten Münze) in the famous Maximilianstrasse, with a view of the romantic Imperial cathedral (Kaiserdom).
Strasbourg is even more alluring during the season of Advent. The Christkindelsmärik dates back to 1570, making it the oldest Christmas Market in France. Enjoy a panoramic bus tour that takes you past the Parc de l’Orangerie, the European Parliament and the Place de la Republique. Afterwards, walk through the historic town center on the Grande Île, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and through the lovely “La Petite France” district, where you will see the Cathédrale de Nôtre Dame with its famous astronomical clock and then visit the town’s famous Christmas Market. You can also choose to explore Strasbourg’s different districts by bicycle. Later in the day, opt to visit Gengenbach’s Christmas Markets and the town’s famous illuminated town hall Advent calendar.
Breisach is your gateway to several different excursions. Step back in time with a visit to the enchanting Alsatian town of Riquewihr, which looks almost the same as it did in the 16th century. On your walking tour, admire historic architecture and famous sights, such as the Dolder Gate, followed by a visit to its charming Christmas Markets. Alternatively, head to Freiburg, founded in 1120 and home to the Freiburg’s Münster, a Gothic cathedral said to have “the most beautiful spire on earth.” Then enjoy free time at the Freiburg Christmas Markets. Those wishing a more active excursion can cycle through Breisach’s countryside.
Disembark the ship and bid farewell to Basel as you prepare for your return flight home.
The Christmas Markets
We will be visiting a number of Christmas markets! Here are some photos to get you in the holiday spirit!
We will be cruising on the AmaLucia which will be practically brand new! It will be sailing for the first time in 2021.
“Sister ship to the award-winning AmaLea and AmaKristina, the elegant 156-passenger AmaLucia will be a warm, inviting ship offering plenty of space for guests to unwind when she debuts in 2021. From comfortable staterooms with twin balconies that keep guests well-connected via Entertainment-On-Demand, free high-speed Internet access and Wi-Fi, to the sunny Main Lounge, where delicious tapas will be served throughout the day, guests will have everything they need to enjoy their time spent on board. If an active mood strikes, the sun-deck walking track, pool with swim-up bar, fitness room and complimentary fleet of bikes will be available. Or you can take an invigorating class led by the professionally trained onboard Wellness Host. And, of course, the exquisite cuisine served in the Main Restaurant and at The Chef’s Table specialty restaurant will satisfy your every craving aboard AmaLucia.”
- 7 nights luxury accommodations in an outside stateroom (most with twin balconies)
- computer for internet access
- Entertainment on-demand in all staterooms featuring free high speed internet access, movies, a music library, and English language TV stations
- Marble bathrooms, multi-jet showers, soothing bath products, cotton bathrobes, slippers, and hair dryer
- Spacious suites with substantial sitting area, mini fridge, bathtub, separate shower, double sinks, and beds facing the river
- Generous closet and storage space with in room safe
- Mini fridge, desk, and sitting area
- Bottled water replenished daily
- Wellness activities with a dedicated wellness host leading various exercise classes as well as discussions on healthy eating and relaxation techniques, both on board and on shore.
- Personalized service from a highly trained cruise manager during both cruise and land programs
- Sun deck pool with swim up bar and walking track
- Fitness room, massage services, and hair salon
- Main lounge with panoramic views and bar
- Daily entertainment including cultural performances
- All on-board dining in a variety of venues
- Regionally inspired cuisine made with locally sourced ingredients
- The Chef’s Table specialty restaurant
- Welcome cocktail, welcome dinner, La Chaine des Rotisseurs Dinner, Captain’s cocktail and gala dinner
- Unlimited fine wine, beer, and soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Unlimited sparkling wine and fresh juice with breakfast
- Sip and Sail cocktail hour with complimentary wine, beer, spirits, and soft drinks
- Tapas, sandwiches, snacks, and refreshments served daily in the Main Lounge
- Immersive tours in every destination
- Gentle, regular, active, and late-riser tour options
- Bike tours and hikes
- Special interest tours
- Knowledgeable guides
- Personal headset for easy exploration
- Airport transfers with purchase of air from AmaWaterways
Double Occupancy Rates
Available rates:Category AB: $4,808 pp per double occupancyCategory D: $3,758 pp per double occupancyCategory E: $3,459 pp per double occupancy
It’s going to be full of beautiful European towns, gorgeous views, fabulous food and of course, Christmas Markets! It is so nice to be able to have something to look forward to right now and this cruise is DEFINITELY something to look forward to! See you on the Rhine!!!
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your cabin or to inquire for more information!